Woodward Avenue Water Treatment Plant
Location: Hamilton, ON
Completion Date: 2011
Gross Area: 5,835 m²
The project was architectural and structural restoration, which included 11 buildings totaling 5,800 m² built between 1930 and 1950.
Restoration of the Filter Building, originally constructed in 1931, retained the “Art Moderne” architectural style, which included generous amounts of natural lighting with tall windows and a second storey housing clerestory windows above the filter gallery. On the exterior, damaged Indiana Limestone at the entrance way was replaced and the refurbishment of the antique bronze doors completed the period look. The interior restoration work included terrazzo flooring, oversize hanging light fixtures, and the refurbishment of the antique filter control panels.
The project was completed in 2011, and subsequently won two industry awards.