A HISTORY OF ENGINEERING EXCELLENCE
In 1948, Mr. Roderick Anderson founded a consulting engineering practice in Toronto. The office started with six staff, including one professional registered engineer, four technicians and draftsmen, and one stenographer. Today, our firm has approximately 250 employees based out of nine offices providing services across Canada and internationally.
In the 1950’s, the firm became involved in provincially-funded water and sewage systems, as well as urban land development projects and major infrastructure projects initiated to serve the new Metropolitan Toronto. This decade also saw our first involvement in tunnel design, now a core strength of the firm. Notable projects included the Baker Downs activated sludge sewage treatment plant, the Humber River channelization, and sewer tunnels at Wilket Creek and Highway 401.
RVA’s involvement in larger and more complex projects proved that the firm had a solid municipal consulting practice. Major Toronto-based projects included the original development of the York University site at the Keele and Finch campus, the Dawes Road Bridge, and the Finch Avenue trunk water main.
The firm expanded its presence into the Ontario markets through establishing a Regional Branch Office in Welland. A notable Welland-based project included the development of a trunk sewer collection and treatment system for the City of Welland. The number of staff grew to over 60, and in 1964, the firm became officially known as R.V. Anderson Associates Limited.
Rod Anderson retired in 1974, when Ken Hyde was appointed President of the firm. RVA continued working in infrastructure and land development projects that served Toronto’s surrounding (and rapidly growing) municipalities. We were retained to plan and engineer major wastewater collection and transmission projects for the new City of Thunder Bay. By the end of 1977, RVA had over 135 staff.
In the 1980s, we expanded throughout the Ontario market with the acquisition of Dennis Consultants in Sudbury and the creation of an Ottawa Regional Office. The firm also expanded into Eastern Canada through a partnership with Touchie Engineering of Moncton, New Brunswick for design and construction of a new wastewater collection and treatment system in Moncton. RVA was honored with two national design awards for the high-profile relocation of Toronto’s John Street Water Pumping Station in clearing the site for SkyDome. In 1989, Ken Morrison succeeded Ken Hyde as the firm’s President.
In addition to traditional infrastructure engineering work, RVA began to develop new technological capabilities in the telecommunications sector. RVA was the lead engineering firm for Ledcor/360 networks for development of a 17,000 km fibre optic network in Canada and parts of the USA. Anderson Operations Inc. was established in 1990 to provide water and wastewater operations services.
The firm also broadened its geographical reach by providing operational improvement strategies for Mumbai’s (Bombay) wastewater treatment systems. We were also contracted to operate and maintain the Vapi Common Effluent Treatment Plant in India. In 1994, a new Regional Office was established in London, Ontario, and the acquisition of Touchie Engineering in Moncton, New Brunswick secured the firm’s presence in the Maritimes.
As a recognized leader in the field of water supply and water treatment, RVA was retained by the Ontario Clean Water Agency (OCWA) to quickly address the water contamination issues arising in Walkerton, Ontario in 2000.
The firm complemented its infrastructure operation capabilities with management services focused on infrastructure asset management, competitiveness in the delivery of public works programs, and private sector participation initiatives. RVA also strengthened its technical capabilities within Eastern Canada through the acquisition of Hydro-Com Technologies of Fredericton, New Brunswick in 2004, and of Kavanagh & Associates Limited of St. John’s, Newfoundland and Labrador in 2011.
Today, our clients benefit from our continued goal to deliver a more comprehensive menu of services in a number of strategic and technical business areas. This vertical integration of services is intended to assist clients in dealing with the broad range of challenges, issues, and problems facing their organizations in rapidly changing business and public works environments.